Favorite Quote

"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand."
-Randy Pausch


Sunday, December 21, 2008

Let It Snow...


SO, my hubby and I are supposed to be in Arizona right now.  But mother nature, well, she had another plan.  

We spent the night at the Marriott adjacent to the airport last night for the sole purpose of NOT getting snowed in at home as they were expecting a foot of snow throughout the night where we live in WA.  

And our clever lil planned worked, until we got to the airline gate...

We checked our luggage in, checked out the airport mall, and then got to our gate.  It was then that we learned our flight was cancelled.  It went a little something like this:

Airline Worker:  "Flight XXX has been cancelled."
My thoughts: No way, NOT the flight to Phoenix.  It's sunny there.
Airline Worker: "It can be several days until you get rescheduled."
My thoughts: We're going to Phoenix, not our flight.  There are sahuaro's, dirt, and sun there.  Old people from cold climates go there for the winter.  CAN'T BE MY FLIGHT!

And then I looked up.

And saw that the Phoenix flight that was supposed to take off at 0815 was still sitting at the gate.  With passengers on it.  Getting de-iced.  With the frustrated pilot slumped over the controls (and YES, you could see him slumped over the controls).  Well, that's holiday travel for ya!

So yes, it was our flight.  Cancelled.  BUT we were able to reschedule for Christmas Eve, so I won't complain too much.  We had to take a little airport shuttle bus back home.  What was supposed to take an hour and fifteen minutes to get home from the airport ended up taking over four hours.  But we're home safely.  And I got to come home to this:

 So my friends, I leave you with this.  We just have to accept that there are things in this world that we have absolutely NO control over (like cancelled holiday flights!).  And it sucks.  Trust me, I was hella pissed this afternoon.  Today, I had serious issues accepting that there was absolutely nothing I could do to fly out to Arizona.  But then my dad reminded me to just brush it off and keep going.  Kinda like how a duck's feathers repel rain.  It's hard to accept the uncontrollable.  Arg.  But, like Dory in the movie "Finding Nemo," Just Keep Swimming...

No comments: