Favorite Quote

"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand."
-Randy Pausch


Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Happy Birthday Dear Doggie...


First off, I want to thank My Love Bug for coming through yet again!  The man is in the middle of nowhere (literally) and still managed to send me flowers (a flower cake to be exact) for my bday (which was Sunday).  I know you won't get to see this until you get home, but thank you Love Bug!

On Saturday we celebrated mine, Caesar's (my beast in the pic above) and my seester's dog Giovanni's birthdays. For those of you that think we're weird let me say that this is the FIRST time we've had a bday party for the dogs.  I'd say a good half of you have done the same thing but are too ashamed to admit it!  My sis also gave us all a shout out on her myspace page so check it out at: www.myspace.com/mariafrench

This is a pic of the doggie bday cake(simmer down PETA lovers, it's fake chocolate icing)!

On a more serious note, I tapered down to 5mg of prednisone on Tuesday.  This is a big deal because I will fully be off the 'roids next Tuesday (the 26th).  For the past two years I have been battling a vicious cycle with tapering because I have always relapsed 3-6 weeks after coming off the 'roids.  I am confident this will not happen again, but can definitely use your thoughts and prayers, so keep me in mind!  The vicious cycle that has occurred for the past two years will be broken this time, I know it!  I will keep my blog updated with my progress!  I think the lack of stress/being around family/riding my bike is going to help me break this vicious cycle.  I'm hoping for the best...

Lastly, here is a pic of Tom and myself after a painful ride early Tuesday morning.  I met Tom and Paul (Paul will be in a later pic I'm sure) last Tuesday while riding.  To make a long story short, I was riding by myself when Tom and Paul zoomed by.  Tom yelled at me to draft so I grabbed onto Paul's wheel (he was on Tom's wheel) and we cruised for a little while.  I met up with them this past Tuesday and they handed me my ass, but it was an awesome, painful ride!  Paul broke his crank while climbing so Tom and I had to pace-line back to get the car so Paul wouldn't cook in the hot AZ sun! Tom pushed me to my limits and I was able to see how strong I've gotten over the past two months(thanx for not letting me wuss out Tom!).  I was in some serious pain but know the only way to get faster is to suffer!  Thanx guys!  I look forward to our ride next Tuesday!  I wish I was staying in the area longer, Tom could seriously get me ready for race season next year.  

I also posted my first write up for the Vanderkitten Blog!  I'm SO EXCITED about this opportunity!  More to come later...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Baby Girl:
GREAT flower cake!!! and great "doggie" cake, you girls are soooo crazy, but I love you, I want to be your dog in my next life ok?...my prayers are always with you but I will pray lots more for you after the 26th...take care of yourself my Baby Girl...Lots of love, Grammy

Emma said...

Ah, thanx GRAMMY GIRL!! You're THE BEST!!! Miss ya and Love ya tons!!!

Anonymous said...

Fake Chocolate huh? I'll induce the greatest PETA uproar this country will ever see!! You don't know what you have done getting those dogs a poison cake (fake chocolate huh)!!! I hope you have enough humility to go in the back yard of your house and appologize to the green grass because you just wiped them out. I mean, seriously, who in their right mind would be able to put up with the grossilicious smell of digested cake frosting, fake chocolate huh?
I feel so bad for the person (who is probably most likely a child) who will have to pick up the mess.
Think about that next time you give your vicious animal chocolate.
He has feelings too, even down there... you know how painful it would be to eat chili stew. Uh huh, not imagine that for your beast. PETA will let you off the hook this time. ONLY "this" time.










NOT. . .

Emma said...

Where do you come up with this stuff?!

Dad and Mom Becker said...

Great stuff, Emma and Happy Birthday again!!! We just returned home from work and play on Whidbey Island. Greg landed his big P-3 Orion after a 4.5 hour mission at 5:30, slipped out of his flight bag and then met us in Oak Harbor for some Thai food. We had a great time together and he caught us up on his exceptionally fine two week mountain bike adventure in Oregon, Washington, and Canada. If you're up for pounding some hills in Seattle we have plenty of room for you and your sister. Better lay down and re-charge the batteries - a big day tomorrow. Live well.

Dad Becker

jw said...

so excited to see you start running with VK. Remember, its not what you know in the bike business, its who you know! Are you goign to interbike at the end of sept?

Anonymous said...

Whoever 'anonymous' is the doggie b-day party was a blast! The dogs had a lot of fun and so did the adults. For your information the dogs did not get "grossilicious smell" diarrhea or any diarrhea for that matter. The green grass was never offended nor has feelings anyway. Everybody in their right mind knows that! Where is your mind??? And why 'anonymous' why don't you brave up and say your 'real' name!!

Anonymous said...

Kudos to aniMATTemal for the cake! That was awesome sending the cake being sooo many miles away and in the great sea!! Emma was sooo stoked to receive this from you on her birthday and misses you sooo much! Hurry and get home so we can stop hearing about "sexy time"! LOL... Thanks for doing what you do in the Navy for us and our country and I pray for you a lot. Have fun in the waters and every beautiful place you get to see and come home safely!! You are greatly missed!!! Love you Matt

-Your sis-in-law

Kevin said...

Happy Birthday Emma!

Choco eating Dawg!